Following up on the promise to launch its new eBook store before the end of the year 2010, Google eBooks did exactly that last week. There are some major differences between the Google Editions and other eBooks.…
The words on the image are actually excerpts from the longer poem below. They were the ones that seemed to call out and beg to be attached to this photo of me modeling for a mask created by my friend Michele and later used as part of a sculpture.…
Tennis champion Serena Williams celebrates a hard-won victory. (AP photo by Rick Stevens)
From significant advances in the field of personalized medicine–– which uses information regarding an individual’s specific genetic make-up and environment to diagnose and treat diseases–– to the awarding of the Nobel Prize to five brilliant women and the “miracle on the Hudson,” the year 2009 is one that has been marked by… Continue
Author and celebrity chef Sallie Ann Robinson. (photo by Butch Hirsch Photography)
Celebrity chef, cookbook author, and cultural consultant on her home island of Daufuskie, South Carolina, are all titles which Sallie Ann Robinson can claim with justification after working many years to earn them. She recently added to her list of titles that of “the first Gullah Diva,” so proclaimed by members of the Binyah… Continue
"Broughton Street a.k.a. BeBop Street" by 2009 King-Tisdell Fine Arts Award winner Luther E. Vann (from ELEMENTAL, The Power of Illuminated Love).
For the past almost two decades, I have found myself frequently inspired by the work of artist Luther E. Vann, so much so that essays and poetry derived from meditations on his metaphysical paintings and sculpture eventually helped produce the book… Continue
The following is presented in honor of Juneteenth, the traditional commemoration of the celebration that dates back to June19, 1865, when African-American slaves in Galveston, Texas, learned for the first time about the Emancipation Proclamation that had been issued to free them two years earlier. They decided that was a very good reason for a party and generations have kept it going every year…Continue
I’ve been lucky enough and survived long enough to share pages, via such outlets as anthologies and magazines, with some fairly extraordinary company, including luminous folks like Amiri Baraka, Pearl Cleage, Sean “Puffy” Combs, the singer Maxwell, Eugene Redmond, Kalamu ya Salaam,… Continue
"A Widow Remembers" artwork from ELEMENTAL, The Power of Illuminated Love, by Luther E. Vann.
One very useful interpretation of the phrase “think outside the box” is this: remain open to good business advice from unexpected sources. Appropriately enough, I did not gain that bit of insight while reading the latest text on business strategies offered by Mellody…Continue
(photo of a chain gang in Thomasville, Georgia, 1898, by Carl Weiss)
Ask any student of American history what year the enslavement of African Americans ended in the United States and she or he will answer with cheerful confidence, “1865” (even though President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863, the constitutional amendments that made it a nationally inclusive law came later).
As a landscape coffee table gift book, ELEMENTAL The Power of Illuminated Love makes a formidable display by itself for a literary festival event. But given the fact that my co-creator for the title, Luther E. Vann, and I were sharing space with a number of outstanding exhibitors like representatives from The Book Lady Bookstore and Cherokee Publishing,… Continue
There is no definition for poetry as such. Many poets repeatedly said many slogans for it.Let us now discuss the recent trends and the styles involved in writing the verses. I wish to invite all…Continue
Vice President Biden, Mr. Chief Justice, members of the United States Congress, distinguished guests, and fellow citizens: Each time we gather to inaugurate a president, we bear witness to the…Continue
Remarks delivered by President Barack Obama at approximately 1:35 a.m. EST November 7, 2012: Thank you so much.Tonight, more than 200 years after a former colony won the right to determine its own…Continue
CREATIVE THINKERS INTERNATIONAL MEMBERSHIP GUIDELINES
1. Membership at CTI is free and open to all those interested in either the production or appreciation of the creative arts, to include literature, visual art, dance, music, film, spiritual theory, the social sciences, philosophy, general humanities, scientific inquiry, education in general, and other disciplines intended to enhance the quality of life for all humanity. Applicants should be at least 17 years old and members are allowed one full profile per person.
2. Materials posted by Members of CTI are their sole responsibility and not that of CTI management or any other member of the CTI site.
3. While recognizing that the work of creative artists is often controversial by its very nature, CTI prohibits and discourages the posting of any overtly obscene and intentionally inflammatory material. These include overt pornography, racist diatribes, religious slander, and any postings promoting discrimination against or the oppression of other human beings.
4. In the interest of stimulating creative growth, we encourage dialogue and even debate. However, Members should avoid leaving intentionally offensive or antagonistic remarks on the pages of Fellow Members. We can disagree and still remain a harmonious community.
5. Explore, grow, share, and enjoy your creative success.
Please remember, these guidelines are likely to evolve as the site itself continues to evolve and develop. We welcome and encourage your input. After all, yours are some of the best minds on the planet so we would be very foolish not to listen to what you have to say.